UPDATE: Hail has been bucketing down across the Gold Coast Hinterland this afternoon after a severe thunderstorm warning was issued for the South-East.
The storm was forecast to affect Tallebudgera and Mudgeeraba by 3:50pm on Saturday, and Miami by 4:20pm.
Very large hailstones and destructive winds are likely.
EARLIER: Large hail and damaging winds could smash the Gold Coast this afternoon, with a severe thunderstorm warning issued by the Bureau of Meteorology.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect the McPherson Range by 2:45 pm and Springbrook by 3:15 pm.
Very large hailstones and damaging winds are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.