Malcolm Turnbull has promised a national apology to survivors of child sexual abuse before the year’s out.
Speaking in Parliament, the Prime Minister also promised to consult abuse survivors to ensure the process was handled sensitively, the ABC reports.
"Now that those stories have been told, now that they are on the record, we must do everything within our power to honour them," he said on Thursday.
"As a nation, we must mark this occasion in a form that reflects the wishes of survivors and affords them the dignity to which they were entitled as children, but which was denied to them by the very people who were tasked with their care.”
Mr Turnbull encouraged states to join a redress scheme, which was among the recommendations issued by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
Released late last year, the four-year inquiry documented thousands of cases of abuse across religious organisations, schools, sports clubs and recreational groups.
You can watch Sky News coverage of the announcement below: