The Longhorn Saloon in Carlton, Melbourne was forced to close its doors on Friday because residents in neighbouring apartment buildings complained that the place smelled of steak.
The restaurant was hit by an improvement notice from the City of Melbourne - which the owners have told the Age would cost in excess of $100,000.
"You can smell the steaks, the cooking fats and oil and grease that gets vaporised into the air," a resident told the Age.
"They do cooking over flames, there's burning fat and the smell of BBQ ribs."
Owner Will Balleau likened the issue to residents moving next door to a pub and complaining about the noise.
"Cooking steaks and fries is not criminal nuisance," he said.
The restaurant remain closed.
You can read more about the drama in the Age.